Tapping Into a New Life LLC
Frequently Asked Questions about
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
What is EFT?
EFT also known as tapping is an energy psychology method that combines talk therapy along with touch by physically tapping on your body’s acupressure points to clear emotions blocking the flow of your energy. It combines healing touch with intention. Basically, it makes friends with your problems.
Tapping creates a safe environment for you where you will always feel in control.
EFT is an emotional detox. It is a gentle, compassionate, pain free, medication free way of releasing the charge of the emotions causing you distress.
Tapping is simple, powerful technique that is an effective way to release negative emotional patterns and beliefs. The stuff that keeps you making the same “mistakes”/choices over and over.
EFT produces quick, long lasting relief from anxiety, stress, overwhelm, chronic pain and so much more.
It is a highly effective empowering tool for your wellness toolbox.
You described EFT as energy psychology. How does it differ from talk and psych therapy?
When utilizing EFT, we talk about your issues in a similar way you would with western talk therapy. The difference is that with EFT the issues causing you distress, that may have been stored in your subconscious for years, are brought into your conscious mind where they can be released so they will no longer bother you. We then move onto the next issue until all that is bothering you is cleared…many times for good.
When seeing a psychiatrist, the treatment is typically to prescribe medication. Then if that med isn’t working, you are prescribed another med. You are putting chemicals in your body that may or may not work…and then there’s those scary side effects to consider.
Studies indicate that about 80% of the effectiveness of most of these medications are because you believe they will work. With many medications, the chemical impact is not always proven to be effective. They rely on the theory that it will work as in the case of many anti-depressants.
EFT is an effective, long lasting, medication free energy healing technique.
How does EFT work?
In traditional Chinese Medicine, emotions are considered the major cause of internal disease. They have found that balancing emotion is the key to optimal health.
EFT works by tackling distressing emotions or events head on, by stating them out loud, then tapping on acupressure points to let your mind know that even though this distress exists, I am still safe.
EFT works by tapping the end points of some of the meridians in your energy system to send a calming signal to the amygdala in your brain. The amygdala is often referred to as the “lizard brain.” It is the center of the flight or fight, aka the stress response. It cannot tell the difference between a real danger, having to flee a burning building, or if you thought of a time when you argued with your spouse. The brain’s response is the same…initiate the stress response! Run! Danger!
Think of when a funnel gets clogged and blocks the flow. You tap on it to release the clog and restore the flow. This is similar to how tapping on the meridian points unclogs your energy system. It loosens things up so they are brought to your conscious mind where they can be safely acknowledged and released.
How long does EFT take?
A round of EFT takes minutes. However, it is difficult to predict how long an emotional detox or the complete resolution of your issue will take. You will get relief from your first and each and every session. We will work systematically to peel away the layers (called aspects in EFT language) until we get to and clear the root cause of your distress. Focus on the word root…we can remove some branches of your issue, but until we yank out the roots of your issue it may “re-bloom” and continue to cause you distress. This is why EFT stands out as being so effective and long lasting. Getting to the root cause of your issue and releasing it.
When we begin working together, you will define what success looks like for you. For example, if we are working together because you have a fear of public speaking, you may define success as speaking in front of a crowd of people without getting an anxiety or panic attack.
There are so many EFT/tapping videos on line. Why should I pay to work with a practitioner?
Excellent question! The online videos are indeed wonderful, but they will only take you so far. A certified EFT practitioner is trained to listen, to ask pointed questions and to draw out of you what you may not be able to see yourself. You know how it’s so easy to see where someone else’s problem comes from, but you can’t see what is causing your own distress? Well, a certified practitioner will be the non-judgmental, objective observer who will be able to pinpoint the origins of your distress (the root cause), and help you clear them.
What does being a Level II Certified EFT practitioner mean?
There are many ways to get certified as an EFT practitioner. Some learn the method from a weekend class, many others work with online courses, where there is much more supervision and practice involved.
I am a Certified Level II practitioner. I did my research and chose to work with the instructors at IMU – International Metaphysical University, an online university.
Level I EFT teaches the basics of EFT and the Personal Peace Procedure. This is where the practitioner works with themselves to clear as many of their own negative emotions as they come into their consciousness. It is an ongoing practice.
It is essential to work with someone who has cleared their own emotional baggage. How can a practitioner help you if they are still burdened by their negative emotions?
Level II trains the practitioner to work with other people. We are required to practice with other students and with the instructor to hone our skills. We are well trained in using different methods of approaching the presenting issue. For example, there are methods for working with people suffering with PTSD that do not involve reliving the traumatic event.
I also have been trained in Energy Anatomy (chakra system) and Energy Anatomy and Physiology. This helps me to uncover what your body is telling you and will provide me with clues about the origins of your distress.
What is a negative emotion?
An emotion is the body’s reaction to your mind. Emotion is energy in motion.
A negative emotion is an emotion that triggers the stress response in your body, is toxic to your body and interferes with its balance and harmonious function.
Negative emotions include but are not limited to fear, anxiety, bearing a grudge, sadness, hatred, intense dislikes like jealousy and envy, etc.
Negative emotions disrupt the flow of your body’s energy. They affect the heart, immune system, digestion and the production of helpful, healing hormones.
There is a direct connection between negative
emotional states and physical disease.
How do negative emotions affect me?
Negative emotions trigger a stress response in your body, signaling the body that it is in danger (flight or fight response). If these emotions persist and are not cleared from your body they can cause physical ailments including but not limited to headaches, back aches, hypertension, ulcers, exhaustion and all varieties of physical illness.
Negative emotions cause your body to exist in an environment of stress. When this occurs your immune and digestive system slow way down and your cell repair mechanism is turned off. Your brain thinks you are in danger, so it slows or turns things off so you have the energy to escape the perceived danger.
Your brain can not tell the difference between a traumatic memory or if you indeed need to escape from a burning building. The chemical reaction in your body is the same.
EFT will help you release these toxic emotions so your body can exist in an environment of relaxation, where the immune system is enhanced and the cell repair mechanism is turned on. Your body wants to heal. Help it by clearing your mind of the stressful thinking you engage in much of the day.
How do blockages in my energy system occur?
Blockages in our energy system occur from your judgement on your thoughts or occurrences. These judgements are drawn from the information you have stored in your subconscious since birth. Basically…everything you have ever thought or that has ever happened to you is stored in your subconscious. We operate from our subconscious approximately 95% of the time.
You judge everything to determine if it aligns with your highest good – or if it’s misaligned. If it is misaligned, you get a signal in your energy system that can be compared to static on a radio. This creates a blockage in your energy system.
As author, Brene’ Brown says…”the body keeps score and it always wins.”
Do you take on other people’s emotions when you are working with them?
No, not at all. By its very nature, tapping sends a message to the amygdala in the brain that all is well, that you are safe. When I listen to or tap along with a person with, for example, extreme anxiety, we are sending an “all is safe” signal to the brain even though this anxiety exists.
Through my training and over a decade of practice, I have mastered the fine art of detachment. I am able to listen to and empathize with others without allowing the energy of their stress, anxiety, overwhelm, etc. to enter my body.
Do you tap on me?
This is a common question. No, typically I do not tap on you. I tap along with you while stating the issue at hand. I tap and you mimic my tapping. You don’t have to memorize anything. I lead the session and you follow along.
In some cases, where the person is unable or uncomfortable (e.g. a person with autism or a person who cannot physically tap on themselves) with tapping on themselves a proxy can tap for them or on them and both will receive the benefits of tapping.
You mention the body’s energy frequently. What is that?
Just as you have a circulatory system and a nervous system, you have an energy system. The energy system is powered by the 7 primary Chakras in your body, which run up and down your spinal column. They are essentially micro-processors that receive and send all the information your body processes each second of each day. Each of the chakras manage the internal organs in its vicinity.
The Chakras are the energetic compliment of your physical body.
The energy system runs throughout your body via meridians. The body uses the meridians to communicate what’s going on in all of the organs in your body. You can think of meridians like the electric wires running throughout your home. EFT uses these meridians by tapping on certain end points to send a calming message to your brain.
The energy or chi in your body flows effortlessly when happy emotions are present. If a resistance occurs in the energy flow, it is expressed as a negative emotion. If there is enough resistance in the energy line, it will be expressed as an illness.
Does EFT erase your memory?
No. Not at all. You will remember the things that previously caused you distress. But now, they won’t bother you anymore. EFT removes the emotional charge or the emotional sting of past events. Your EFT practitioner will guide you to take a fresh, objective look at the issue so it can be reframed and released from your energy system.
EFT is a highly effective tool for:
- Feeling tired or exhausted too much of the time. EFT will help you clear your emotional baggage and reclaim the energy you spent on keeping those emotions alive in your body.
- Racing thoughts in your head – getting lost in or live in your head much of the day
- Job loss
- Empty nest
- Recovering after a major illness, for example cancer or heart surgery
- Grief – loss of a beloved person or pet
- Chronic pain – shoulders, back, neck, headaches, migraines, painful knees, etc.
- Limiting beliefs – I’ve always wanted to , but I can’t because .
- Anxiety and fear relief for the target of the bully
- Anxiety and fear relief for those witnessing or in an environment of bullying
- Anxiety, fear, stress, feelins of unworthiness, anger relief for the person engaging in the bullying
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) & other GI system ailments
- Auto immune diseases
- Social anxiety
- Weight loss – have trouble losing weight? It’s not always about calories in versus calories out. In most if not all cases, there is an emotional component that is preventing you from losing the weight you desire. When your body is bathed in the stress hormone cortisol, it is very, very difficult to lose weight as cortisol will slow down your digestive system as a result of the stress response.
- Fears, including fear of public speaking – is this holding you back professionally?
- Attracting the romantic relationship you desire
- Have you forgiven yourself for what you perceive you have done “wrong?”
- Who do you need to forgive?
- Are you holding onto a grudge? Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to become ill.
- Overwhelm – too much on your plate
- Financial issues
- Money slips through your hands
- Don’t think you can make more money
- Repeating patterns
- You keep making the same mistakes
- You keep getting into relationships with the “same” person (same qualities that are just not working for you)
- Depression – has your anxiety become depression?
- Being everything to everyone else – except yourself. Are YOU on your list?
- Worthiness – do you feel worthy of love, of life, of financial abundance, an intimate relationship?
- Loneliness – yes, you can absolutely overcome it
- General anxiety that may be consuming your life
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Does a past trauma have you stuck? EFT relieves it gently. You do not have to relive the trauma to release it. You will feel safe and in control at all times.
- Test anxiety – do you or your child freeze up when having to take a test
- Performance anxiety – academic, dramatic
- Athletic performance – improve your golf score, batting average, free throw percentage, etc.
- Essentially anything you can think of that is holding you back from the life you want.
I have priced my services to be very affordable. My base hourly rate is $59.00. There are package deals available with a 5%, 10% or 15% discount depending on which package you choose.
Do I need to live nearby you?
No, you do not need to live nearby. EFT works equally well with Skype, Face Time or over the phone.
What are the benefits of EFT?
- EFT is a medication free approach to wellness
- EFT decreases the level of the stress hormone cortisol in your body
- EFT provides fast, long lasting relief of distress
- EFT can be learned and self-applied. It is most effective when working with a certified practitioner to get to the root causes of your distress, then maintaining your peace and emotional wellness by tapping on yourself.
- By restoring your body to an environment of healing, you will feel better and experience less illness
- You will reclaim energy that has been keeping your toxic emotions alive. Just think of what a relief it would be to finally drop your very heavy, energy depleting emotional baggage. Aaaaaaah…
There are many more benefits to utilizing EFT to emotionally detox your body. Tapping is a medication free technique. Results come quickly and typically last a very long time, if not permanently.
How does tapping improve my health?
It is estimated that 80% of all illness begins in the mind. Tapping will neutralize the negative emotions and occurrences from your life that are causing your body to be in an environment of stress.
When your body exists in an environment of stress your immune system is depressed, your digestion slows (which is why it is nearly impossible to lose weight when stressed) and your natural cell repair (healing) mechanism is turned off.
When you restore your body to its preferred environment of relaxation, your immune system is enhanced, your digestive system works normally and your cell repair mechanism is turned on.
If you have a question I have not answered, please send it to me at email@example.com
For information about my EFT programs please click the link.
For more information about Wellness Coaching click the link.
Note: I am a certified as a Level II EFT practitioner. Once you commit to working with me there are no refunds. Thank you.